Today I was shooting zombies with my Glock 19 and I had my first failure to extract (FTE) problem with my Glock 19. That surprised me because I have had my gun for four year now and I have put over 20,000 round through it without any problems.
Dirty Extractor Caused FTE?
Examining the problem, I could see that the slide remained partially open and the extractor failed to pull out the spent case. The next round in the magazine looked like it was pressed up against the stuck case. I cleared the jam and shot the rest of the session without any additional failures, but I decided to investigate further when I got home.
Looking at the extractor was the obvious place to start. I took close-ups of the extractor to find indications of a problem. Here are some pictures of it in the slide before and after tear down and cleaning.
|BEFORE CLEANING||AFTER CLEANING|
Dirty – Top View
Cleaned – Top View
Dirty – Bottom View
Cleaned – Bottom View
If you click on the pictures you can see that the extractor was extremely dirty and that the extractor “claw” was caked with crud. This appeared to be the most likely the cause of the failure.
I REMOVED THE EXTRACTOR
I disassembled the slide and removed the extractor. I took more pictures of the dirt and crud that I found.
This is the dirty extractor after I removed it from the slide.
Close-up of the claw.
The claw is filled with crud.
I used the head of a sewing pin to scrape out the crud.
This is all the dirt and stuff that came off of the extractor. Sorry for the blurry picture.
I CLEANED EVERYTHING
After cleaning the extractor I also cleaned every part and component of the slide. Then I re-assembled the slide and took close-ups showing the cleaned extractor.
Bottom view of the slide.
My best guess is that the failure to extract was caused by a dirty extractor. Hopefully, future shootings at the range will confirm this. I will update this page if additional failures occur.